The 2019 Greater Houston Area Auditions (GHAA) will be held at Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (Kinder HSPVA) on Sunday, November 24, 2019. GHAA provides an opportunity for approximately 100 Houston area high school students who intend to major in theatre to audition for multiple college admissions and scholarships in a single audition.
To participate in GHAA, a student must:
- Be an enrolled high school senior on track to graduate;
- Have a 2.75 minimum GPA on a 4.0 scale (unweighted);
- Plan to major in theatre in college;
- Be approved by their theatre teacher as a candidate for these auditions; and
- Complete all four (4) steps in the registration process, including paying the $25 registration fee.
Audition times will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no limit on the number of students that may audition from a specific school.
General Audition Information
- The acting and musical theatre auditions take place in a proscenium theatre. Students perform on stage with college representatives seated in the audience. Colleges post callback lists of students that they would like to interview.
- Actors will perform two contrasting monologues totaling no more than two minutes.
- Musical theatre actors will perform a monologue and an accompanied song totaling no more than two minutes. An accompanist will be provided and musical theatre candidates must bring their music with cuts clearly marked. Singing a cappella or with a recording is not allowed.
- Technical/design candidates will deliver a three-to-five minute portfolio presentation in a large classroom or black box theatre (time allocation depends on the number of participants). Students will repeat their presentations, round-robin style, for the college representatives.
- We do not take individual requests for audition time slots. No exceptions. You must check in at the designated time and be ready for your call time. Auditions are done in groups.
- Individual student callbacks for all areas will be posted for each college/university throughout the day.
- Students may only participate in one type of audition but may indicate interest in many areas of theatre on their résumé form.
- Read the Rules and Advice for preparing for the auditions.
Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts is centrally located in the heart of downtown Houston.
790 Austin Street
Houston, Texas 77002
Audition candidates will not be allowed to park in the garage. You may take advantage of street parking, which is free on Sundays (check signs and meters for restrictions). You may also make use of the many parking garages and lots located around the campus.
The following colleges participated in GHAA in 2018:
Abilene Christian University
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts)
Carnegie Mellon University
Centenary College of Louisiana
College of the Mainland
Colorado Mesa University
Columbia College Chicago
KD Conservatory College of Film & Dramatic Arts
Lone Star College-CyFair
Long Island University/Post Campus
Nebraska Wesleyan University
The New School
New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts
New York Film Academy
Oklahoma City University
Penn State Musical Theatre
Rutgers University – Mason Gross School of the Arts
Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD)
SFA School of Theatre
Southern Methodist University
Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Texas State University
Texas Tech University
University of Central Oklahoma
University of Evansville
University of Houston School of Theatre & Dance
University of Memphis
University of Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma Helmerich School
The University of Texas at Austin, College of Fine Arts
University of the Incarnate Word
University of Utah
University of West Florida